Board Operating Principles Final
Adopted by SJISD BOD
August 26, 2015
The Board will:
· Govern proactively, focusing the mission of the San Juan Island School District
· Uphold and promote the integrity and positive image of the District.
· Govern and motivate the district through the careful establishment of written policies.
· Give collective direction to the District Superintendent.
· Support the Superintendent’s leadership and management of the district.
The Board will:
· Conduct its business in compliance with relevant Washington State Law.
· Apply parliamentary best practice.
· Maintain appropriate confidentiality.
· Hold itself accountable for its performance.
· Orient new Directors
· Collectively stay abreast of regional, state and national educational trends.
· Fully explore diverse viewpoints.
· Provide for ample community participation.
· Adhere to the calendar especially in regard to legally required actions.
Discussion and actions of the Board will:
· Focus on strategic leadership.
· Cultivate group responsibility.
· Use the expertise of individual Board members in committee responsibilities.
· Respect the integrity of District employees and their representative organizations.
· Insure that the Board and Superintendent evaluations are effective and timely.
· Balance short and long range District needs.
· Evidence Board members’ preparation.
· Exercise honesty.
· Focus on issues.
· Prevent surprises.
· Praise publicly, criticize privately.
· Respect decisions of the full Board.
The Chair will:
· Conduct meetings using parliamentary best practice.
· Provide for full exploration of diverse viewpoints.
· Efficiently move the agenda.
· Insure fulfillment of Board governance responsibilities.
· Provide reasonable, focused and balanced opportunities for community participation.
· Control all discussion through the chair.
· Prevent dilatory discussion.
· Provide for timely assembly and publication of Board agendas in cooperation with the Superintendent.